Who Is Gilad Shalit?

Gilad Shalit is an Israeli soldier who was kidnapped by Hamas militants on June 25th 2006. He was held in an unknown location in the Gaza strip for over 5 years, with nobody having any knowledge about his current state. The Hamas militants held him in captivation and isolation for 1941 days, until his release on October 18th 2011, as part of a prisoner exchange. This exchange being Gilad Shalit, for 1027 Arab prisoners, most of them terrorists. Now, of course, all the Israeli citizens wanted Gilad freed, but they obviously didn't want the person responsible for their child's death to be released back into the world to kill more people. Me, I think that yes, the deal is CRAZY, and completely unfair, but i still think Israel did the right thing when they agreed to the prisoner swap. You would think I'm crazy, but that is why i made this blog. I want to share my opinions about why I think the Shalit deal was worth it for Israel(I'm not saying it's good/fair), and would like to hear different opinions from different people.

Tuesday 24 January 2012

Noam Shalit Running For Knesset


Gilad Shalit's father, Noam Shalit, announced on January 9th that he will be running for the Knesset. If you don't know, the Knesset is the unicameral legislature of Israel. He states- " Following years of a public struggle, during which I got to know Israeli society thoroughly - both its beautiful and ethical sides - I have decided to join public life," Some people think this a great idea  as he was a member of the Israel labour party since 1996. although others think he is taking advantage of the publicity he received from his son, Gilad Shalit.
Personally, I think that yes, he might be taking advantage a little bit, But I do think he might be a good candidate.I think that he can influence the Israeli society for the better, and maybe he will get more feedback and attention out of Israeli citizens. So, maybe he would make a good candidate. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Bird Gadget