Who Is Gilad Shalit?

Gilad Shalit is an Israeli soldier who was kidnapped by Hamas militants on June 25th 2006. He was held in an unknown location in the Gaza strip for over 5 years, with nobody having any knowledge about his current state. The Hamas militants held him in captivation and isolation for 1941 days, until his release on October 18th 2011, as part of a prisoner exchange. This exchange being Gilad Shalit, for 1027 Arab prisoners, most of them terrorists. Now, of course, all the Israeli citizens wanted Gilad freed, but they obviously didn't want the person responsible for their child's death to be released back into the world to kill more people. Me, I think that yes, the deal is CRAZY, and completely unfair, but i still think Israel did the right thing when they agreed to the prisoner swap. You would think I'm crazy, but that is why i made this blog. I want to share my opinions about why I think the Shalit deal was worth it for Israel(I'm not saying it's good/fair), and would like to hear different opinions from different people.

Thursday 2 February 2012

Nonsense

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15347174
I recently read this article, and I must say I am feeling quite resentful about it. First of all, "Palestinians have mothers too" yes, I agree, of course they want to see their family.Yet they have no right to compare themselves to Gilad Shalit's mother. Their sons were put into prison for a reason, not just, because. Gilad Shalit was kidnapped, not arrested for murder. HUGE difference. I am seriously angry that they would even consider this, Gilad Shalit and Palestinian prisoners are nothing alike, I doubt Gilad killed innocent people for no reason. 

Second, "For Palestinians, they are freedom fighters who deserve a hero's welcome." Really? Killing and being imprisoned makes you a hero? No, I do not think so. And I do not think that my opinion is biased, I simply do not think that any culture should appreciate someone who murdered innocent people. I mean, of course, their family wanted them to come home, but being a killer should not make you a better person, it makes you a worse person. Yes, not all of them were killers, but they were all imprisoned for a reason, and have to pay the price. So, Palestinians should not be proud of a prisoner for being one. That's it.
What do you think? leave a comment below.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure you can say that the Palestinian prisoners were all put away for a reason. In the conflict that is taking place there is much hatred and fear and I would be hard pressed to believe that none of those prisoners are not wrongly imprisoned as Shalit was. We also don't know if Shalit killed anyone 'for no reason'. It is most likely the case that he did not, but we don't know and may never know.

    In regards to the Palestinians seeing their released soldiers as freedom fighters, I can understand their position even as I can disagree. The Palestinians are fighting for their freedom in a way as they have been ostracized and relocated by Israel. You are correct however that being a killer does not necessarily make you a better person. In times of war and conflict, people can find solace in even the most disgusting and disturbing of atrocities as they feel it leads them closer to victory. A victory that may be obtained at a cost that will be too great in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree that maybe not all of them were put away for a reason, but I can tell you that the prisoners released were collectively responsible for 569 Israeli deaths.It has been stated that the prisoners released were all either responsible for murder or assisted with murder, or even worse. So I still support the fact that Gilad Shalit was kidnapped and captivated for not really any reason(unless Hamas just kidnaps whoever they can)while Palestinian prisoners were imprisoned because they committed crimes. Gilad Shalit did not commit any crime at all, he was simply a boy that had to go to the army.

    As for Palestinians seeing their released soldiers as freedom fighters, I have to disagree. I do not think that someone who murdered,got sent to a lifetime in prison, and later released, should come home feeling like a hero. What kind of example is this for younger kids? "My dad killed an Israeli and now he is a hero, I want to be just like him." With this example in their lives, this controversy will never stop.And not only for younger kids, people of all ages want to be respected, and now they found their way. I think they should be welcomed a lot differently, and behave more responsibly from the videos i have watched of their return.

    ReplyDelete

Twitter Bird Gadget